- This year’s initiative is entitled #LIGHTtheWORLD. It focuses on celebrating and sharing the Light of Jesus Christ with others.
- Right now you can visit Mormon.org/download and download or view the new Advent Activity Service Calendar. Each day from 1-25 December 2016, the calendar focuses on a different Christlike behavior and provides suggestions for ways that we can emulate His example. e.g. The calendar entry for Dec 3 is ‘Jesus Helped Others to See and So Can You’ so: donate your old eyeglasses, or point out a virtue to a friend that they don’t see in themselves, or promote a vision charity online .. We are encouraged to use this guide to generateideas for ward Christmas dinners and gatherings. Youth groups and ward councils could consider activities to involve their neighbors in service to the community. Families and individuals can plan and implement their own ideas for serving.
- Starting Friday, November 25, 2016 and running through Christmas Day, you can visit Mormon.org/christmas and view the new “Light the World” Video. Each day after that a new video will be added focusing on various Christlike attributes..
- I know that I have been served here in Magrath over the years, and try to give service to others where I can. For instance, many of you have donated time and material goods to our annual community Food Drive, to the No Cost Clothing event, and to the yearly Christmas Box drive. Besides your busy church callings and family and work commitments, you also volunteer and serve with the Library, Museum, Town, Sports, Service Clubs and with so many other other organizations. But to date, much of that serving has been the quiet, hidden or even secret type of service. That can, and will, still happen throughout the year, but this month we are being encouraged by the Church to document and share these moments on social media using the hashtag #LIGHTtheWORLD.
- This way, we can show the world some of the light we are giving and/or that we have received. When you are the recipient of, or see an act of service, to you or to others, thank them publicly online using the new hashtag. Consider sharing what service you yourself are providing, at least for this month. We can then view what everyone/others are doing by searching for #LIGHTtheWORLD on facebook, twitter, instagram, google and more.
- As the introductory teaser video says: “This Christmas Season, put up lights, turn on lights, but above all .. be a light! Serve anyone you want, anyway you want.” each day Dec 1 through 25 and then .. share that light.
Source [various]: LIGHT THE WORLD: 2016 LDS CHRISTMAS INITIATIVE, ADVANCED INFORMATION
by LARRY RICHMAN on NOVEMBER 7, 2016 http://ldsmediatalk.com/2016/11/07/light-the-world-2016-lds-christmas-initiative-advanced-information/ also mormon.org/christmas and mormon.org/downloads #LIGHTtheWORLD